Just today I came across a post asking about goals for 2017! I know the end of the year is fast approaching and I know that the typical year-end reflection and goal setting happens at this time, yet was somewhat surprised to see something so early (or as least it felt early!). Yet, in reality, I think now is a great time to pause and take stock.
With six week left of 2016 (I know, kind of shocking!), why not take this time to think about your year, about your achievements and about where you would like to go next year. I will be putting time in my diary for this reflection and goal setting for the first week in December and to help me do this, I will reflect on the following questions.
I offer these questions to you for when you do your reflection and goal setting.
- How would you rate your overall year in a general / global sense on a scale of 1-10 (1 being low/OK, 10 being high/fantastic)?
- What were the most significant events, highlights and achievements of the year on a professional and personal level?
- What were the three biggest lessons or learnings this year?
- What new habits did you put into practice? What unhelpful (bad) habits did you stop doing?
- When you reflect on where you were a year ago, how has life changed for you? What is the same? How do you feel about all that?
- What priorities did you have this year and how did you go with maintaining focus on them?
- What will be your priorities and focus next year?
- What will you do differently next year that you didn’t do this year?
- What are you the most grateful for this past year?
- In what ways will you celebrate and acknowledge all that you have done and achieved this year?
Now that you have spent some time reviewing and reflecting on the past year, let’s look forward to the year ahead.
- What dreams are on your wish list? These are things that you might not necessarily do in 2017, yet it’s a good exercise to simply write them down for future reference. Write everything and anything you want to include in your ‘bucket list’.
- If you could achieve only one of those goals in 2017, which goal would that be?
- Continue to ask the above question and put those dreams into some sort of priority order listing at least your top 10 dreams.
- What is your biggest goal for 2017 on a personal level? on a professional level?
- What are some of the smaller, yet equally important, goals in every important aspect of your life?
- What are your reasons you want to achieve these goals? This is your WHY.
- What will help you stay on track towards achieving your goals? What habits, routines or reminders will help you?
- What means of accountability can you put in place? Who can you be accountable to on a regular basis?
- When will be your times to review your progress and whether any adjustments need to be made?
Planning for Action
- Imagining yourself having achieved your goal, what milestones got you to a successful conclusion?
- What resources will contribute to your success?
- When did you make time to take the necessary action and make progress on your goal.
Hope those questions help you when you reflect on your past year and plan for the future.
If you want some help as you pursue those goals, check out my Winning Strategies Workbook – available on Amazon which will walk you through a step-by-step process to ensure success! For a more hand-on personal approach, contact me to discuss coaching. I am offering an end of year special on my coaching. See details here.